Tenkara casting avice from Erik Ostrander of Tenkara Guides
A) Watch videos of ‘Masami Sakakibara, aka Tenkara no-Oni‘. He has very good technique.
B) “Align your bones” from thumb through shoulder – think of a straight line from wrist to shoulder. Doing so will require less wrist-flicking to cast well. Thumb will almost point at your body.
C) Tenkara casting practice instructions from Erik:
1) Add the following to rod:
– Level line that is length of rod, 3′ of tippet, and a fly
2) Cast repeatedly until you can consistantly have fly hit the ground/water first
3) Repeat with level line 150% the length of the rod
4) Repeat with level line 200% the length of the rod
5) Aim at a plate, aim at the underside of your car.